Thursday 5 July 2012

40K Sixth Edition Thoughts: Forging The Narrative

I wonder if I'm the only person who hasn't played 40k since the Rogue Trader era who's planning on diving into 6th edition? Like many people, I've spent the last few days with my head buried in the new rulebook, and I have to say I'm rather impressed. I'm all in favour of pre-measuring, random charge distances and the like, although why people persist with so-called 'true line of sight' baffles me (but that's for another day, maybe...)


I'm also really impressed with the 'Forging the Narrative' boxes that pop up all over the place in the 6th edition book. I do hope that new-comers to the game - 'youngsters' I might patronisingly call them! - will get into this side of the game. The Rogue Trader rulebook didn't have a hand full of scenarios - there are 100 plus ways of playing a single game, and plenty of ideas for playing campaigns. It's good to see that, in this odd world of competitive play and tournaments, some aspects of narrative gaming survive. I also think that (on reading only) the core rules appear to support this kind of play rather well.

Bravo GW, this is going to be fun.

2 comments:

  1. It's 'younglings', by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never played Rogue Trader. I'm a child of 2nd edition, never played 3rd or 4th and - until last night - had had only one game of 5th, but I expect to go for this (when the box set comes out).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...