Sunday 21 October 2012

Playing 30K Will Be An 'Appalling Stalemate' - Straight From The Horus' Mouth

So I managed to spend a few hours reading Horus Heresy: Betrayal the other day. As I suspected, it's an incredibly dull read that covers much of the ground from the original trilogy of novels, but with all narrative and character from those 'pulp classics' stripped away. As far as 30k gaming is concerned, the total lack of alien diversity makes it an extremely unattractive prospect. Given that GW have worked hard over the years to populate a galaxy full of toy armies that play with tactical heterogeneity, it seems odd that there's so much fuss over a version of the game that has the heart of that contrast and mix erased. And don't take my word for this; here's a quote from Alan Bligh from the book:

"...matched in power and weapons, armour and skill, and above all in the unshakable resolve to fight, the result was an appalling stalemate" Horus Heresy: Betrayal, p.50

I kid you not. This made me laugh out loud while I was reading it on the train home from work. As always, I operate a philosophy of live and let live, so if this sounds like the game of your dreams then I wish you well!

All of this stalemate could be yours!

6 comments:

  1. I think it will be fantastic, the variety of lists you can build is hilarious and with the forthcoming HH books I only expect this to diversify further.

    I think the game (for a change) will be very balanced, 6th eds core system barring the ever ridiculous AP rules has the makings of a good game, which currently is completely ruined by the lack of parity in the power levels of the various codii.

    At GW's rate of release it's going to take years for the system to remotely balance out, assuming they even bother to get ward and Kelly to actually talk to each other ... currently it's like they write for two different games *facepalm* .

    Personally I prefer the internal balance and overall thought/maturity that goes into kellys books...

    30k is going to be great, most of the players around here have talked about dumping 40k for 30k until 6th sorts itself out.

    Yes, 30k is the game I have always wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll get everything you wish for!

      Personally, balance isn't at the core of what I'm after in a game and 6th seems an excellent direction for 40k. I do get your point about Ward and Kelly though :-)

      Delete
  2. Also, rabid fluff bunnies can cut loose with 30k if people go for lists that fit the character of their legion I expect you would never see two lists the same ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really admire your enthusiasm, but I'm not convinced (as a rabid fluff bunny!). I do look forward to being surprised by the following books though, if things turn substantially more chaotic.

      Delete
  3. I think that this might actually minimise, or at least, mitigate against, the rock-paper-scissors meta-game that comes with having diverse, but still incredibly restrictive (and unbalanced) army books (by the bloody, expensive dozen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in terms of expense, having to buy numerous HH books at £70 a pop is pretty steep! Also I don't get the feeling that the meta-game is that much of an issue with creative and co-operative play. Sure, WAAC and tourney players have plenty to gripe about, but that kind of gaming is a world away from my experiences and I have absolutely no authority to speak to it at all. My feeling is that if two players appreciate the meta-game in their designing and arranging their games it can enhance the experience and the fun immensely.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...