Wednesday 26 September 2012

New Raptors Converted To Regular Chaos Space Marines?

Looking over the new Chaos Space Marine releases I must say that I'm looking forward to them but I'm also disappointed. Why? Well it's because of the lack of any new basic chaos marines. I understand that with the plastic models GW are extremely unlikely to upgrade them frequently due to cost. That leaves us with some absolutely cracking new models - the Dark Vengeance Chosen are wonderful - and some very average normal troops that look tired and dull in comparison. So... what to do? Here's my simple plan, but be warned, it's a pricey one. (...Checks to make sure the wife isn't reading this...). Convert the new Raptors to make basic chaos marines. I've not seen the sprues firsthand but I'm guessing this is possible. Anyone else thinking along these lines?

7 comments:

  1. Personally I don't mind regular CSMs looking less fancy than the Chosen. I assume the Raptors would be convertible, but you may want to have them standing on the ground rather than in jump poses and also to do something about the jump pack straps over their chests. That might require regular CSM torsos, unless you're happy to just have random straps on your CSMs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the straps, they could easily be part of their decorative armour. And yes, they would be rather more grounded than raptors.

      Delete
  2. I guess it depends on what sort of look you are going for. If you want to have the MkIV armor with jump pack straps, you could certainly use these. You could also get the parts from a bitz seller and apply them to the regular figures, which may be more cost effective. (the heads will no doubt be costly though)

    I expect that a chosen set is in the offing in the future, as well as a havok set, either of which might be more suited to this effort though, so you may want to wait a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cash flow demands a cooling off period for this idea! I'm always suspicious of the value of using bitz stores, but then every time I buy a full box with the intention of selling off the bitz I don't use I always seem to hang on to everything...

      Delete
    2. In my experiance buying bits ends up being cheaper only when you do not have any use for the rest of the kit.

      As I have personally come up with future projects that would use the bits I did NOT get... I would have often saved money on buying the complete kit.

      Delete
    3. I'm always tempted to think that, if I buy the whole kit, I could then sell the bits I don't use with the net cost being cheaper than buying the bits I need. But, of course, I never get round to it...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...